The Waterfront Limited Partnership, a joint venture between AEG and Crosstree Real Estate Partners, who own and operate Icon Outlet, and the entertainment district at The O2, have announced a raft of established independent F&B brands totalling over 32,000 sq ft, will open at the iconic destination in the coming months.
The string of new signings includes Marugame Udon (CGI pictured), Boom: Battle Bar, Soukra, Kitchen Pizzeria and German Doner Kebab.
The announcement follows the reopening of Icon Outlet and roofwalk attraction Up at The O2, in line with England moving to the second stage of the lockdown easing. With these five new signings the total area leased for The O2’s F&B offering is at its highest ever level, as the new concepts will join over 30 bars and restaurants in The O2’s entertainment district.
Combined with a busy events calendar already being planned for 2022, collectively the venue provides a complete day out retail, leisure and entertainment destination for visitors to enjoy post-lockdown under The O2’s world-famous roof.
· The world’s largest Japanese noodle and tempura restaurant brand, Marugame Udon, is set to launch at The O2 later in 2020 as one of their first few UK locations. The two floor 3,790 sq ft restaurant is located by the arena’s main entrance and will operate via an open kitchen, crafting hand-made Sanuki udon noodles, broth and tempura dishes – everyday meals widely enjoyed across Japan.
· Located in the middle of The O2’s entertainment district will be dynamic adventure bar experience, Boom: Battle Bar. Spanning a double unit across two floors totalling more than 16,000 sq ft, Boom: Battle Bar is set to open this Summer bringing its unique blend of competitive socialising activities to The O2 including Bavarian Axe-Throwing, Crazy Golf, Electric Darts and Beer Pong, as well street food, cocktails and Japanese-style karaoke booths – an element unique to their offering at The O2 venue.
· New Middle Eastern concept, Soukra, is launching a 9,730 sq ft bar, lounge and restaurant across the ground floor, mezzanine and garden spaces at The O2 in late 2021. Soukra’s offering will also include the opportunity for guests to enjoy shisha for those who want to add this to their dining experience.
· Italian pizza specialists, Kitchen Pizzeria is the first of the new signings to open with a 1,400 sq ft of space including outdoor seating, delivering their popular handcrafted homemade pizza and pasta to a brand-new audience, starting with take-away dining as the venue reopens.
· German Doner Kebab is also set to take a 1,910 sq ft unit, delivering authentic gourmet doner kebabs at The O2, all made using premium lean meats and served in handmade toasted breads with signature sauces. The unit is scheduled to open in Q3 2021.
Alistair Wood, Executive VP of Real Estate and Development at AEG Europe, commented, “We are proud to have leased over 32,000 sq ft of combined F&B space at The O2. The commitment from such a great range of leading independent operators demonstrates the appeal of The O2 as a flagship location.
'Each of the new signings adds something exciting and different to our offer – some with their first sites in Europe. Despite an incredibly challenging pandemic, we have worked very hard to keep our existing brands and to bring in diverse new offerings that add to the holistic experience at The O2.
'With a packed arena diary, we are really looking forward to a busy couple of years as we welcome visitors back to The O2.”
Keith Bird, CEO of Marugame Udon Europe, said, “It is very exciting to have signed at such an iconic London location which shares our ambition for rapid and ambitious growth. Following our first signing at London Liverpool Street, we couldn’t think of a better location to continue our expansion within the capital and across Europe.
'We look forward to getting to know more of our UK customers, and delivering our authentic Japanese udon and tempura which is second-to-none at a fantastic price-point.”
Elliot Shuttleworth, CEO of Boom: Battle Bar, added, “We’re so pleased to be expanding our renowned offer within London at a location which matches our truly unique adventure bar offering.
'Positioned just 20 minutes from central London, and with such a breadth of dining, retail and leisure under one roof, and access to both national and in time, international fans, The O2 provides the perfect setting for our third London location, and ninth site nationwide.
'The size of the site at The O2 means we can do something really special with the space, and we can’t wait to open our doors here to deliver our dynamic adventure bar fun to our growing UK and international fanbase soon.”
The signings of these six culinary brands complement the day-out destination offer at The O2 for families, friends and couples this summer.